CEO (Local Government)
- Senior management role with a new and exciting Local Government, based within the world-famous Kakadu National Park and Arnhem Land!
- Excellent base salary circa $170,000 (commensurate with experience) PLUS 12% super, rent-free housing and a motor vehicle!
- Enjoy 6 weeks annual leave to explore the magnificent sights of the Top End whilst getting paid!
- Lead a passionate team in making a difference to the quality of life of the people in this unique part of the world!
About the Organisation
The West Arnhem Shire is one of eight new shire areas located in the Northern Territory. The Shire covers an area of 49,698km² including the World Heritage listed Kakadu National Park, and has a population of approximately 6,500 generally located within the communities of Jabiru, Gunbalanya, Maningrida, Minjilang and Warruwi. The West Arnhem Shire Council acknowledges and pays respect to the Traditional Owners of West Arnhem.
Apart from the traditional Local Government services, Council receives funding to manage & maintain a wide range of community programs and projects with a regional approach so all community members can enjoy the benefits. These programs include:
- Training and employment
- Indigenous art & galleries
- Night patrol, drug & alcohol education
- Sport and recreation
- Child care
- Maintenance and recording of languages
- Local radio broadcasting
- Jabiru Public Library
This is an exciting time for the region and Council is firmly committed to achieving significant and lasting change to improve the quality of life for all Shire residents.
About the Jabiru Region
Founded in 1982, Jabiru is a modern town surrounded by Kakadu National Park in the spectacular West Arnhem region in the Northern Territory, about 250km from Darwin. The region is a world-famous tourist destination with a stunning array of outback landscapes, sensational flora, fauna and wildlife and a great legacy of Aboriginal culture in the form of art that can be found in caves and rock overhangs where it is protected from the elements.
Jabiru is an attractive town that services the requirements of Ranger Uranium Mine and tourism within Kakadu National Park and beyond, while residents enjoy an excellent selection of recreation and sporting facilities on their doorstep, including a 9 hole golf course, an Olympic sized pool, a public gym, various sporting ovals, basketball, netball and tennis courts, a bowls club, a lakeside walking track and the Jabiru Sports & Social Club.
About the Opportunity
West Arnhem Shire Council has a unique opportunity for a full time Chief Executive Officer to lead its professional, multi-disciplinary team based in service centres across the shire.
Performing under the Northern Territory Local Government Act 2008, the CEO will be responsible for managing and administering the plans and business of Council and ensuring the development and implementation of Council policy. You will lead the Councillors, staff and community members to establish and achieve Council's vision, and oversee the promotion of community development and self management.
More specifically your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Taking a leadership role in promoting the development of a relevant vision for West Arnhem Shire Council;
- Supporting elected members through advisory and development strategies as directed by Council, and motivating and developing staff and stakeholders to achieve quality outputs;
- Managing Council's relationship and interactions with the groups in the community to support building community capacity to initiate and implement projects and programs;
- Ensuring that human and physical resources are available and effectively, efficiently and ethically used to meet the strategic and operational service delivery needs;
- Establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with Council and government and diverse groups of people within the public and private sectors; and
- Modelling and promoting appropriate social, ethical and organisational standards in all interaction.
To succeed in this position, you will have worked in a senior management position, preferably within the Local Government sector, with a proven background involving high level strategic planning skills and knowledge of corporate management requirements. Your experience will have provided you with the demonstrated capacity to administer and understand the Local Government Act, associated legislation and relevant statutory, legal and contractual obligations.
West Arnhem Shire Council is seeking an analytical team player with experience in developing and implementing relevant policy, solid knowledge of public policy issues that impact on Local Government, and an understanding of the NT Local Government Reform. You will hold tertiary qualifications or comparable work experience in the fields of Management, Business and/or Public Sector Administration.
As an accomplished leader, you will have extensive experience in financial management, an understanding of contemporary human resource management principles, and the highly developed delegation skills to ensure the achievement of outcomes and the development of employees' abilities.
You will need to be an outstanding communicator with a wide range of stakeholders, including the public and special interest groups, while an understanding of Indigenous culture and the ability to work with Indigenous people is essential. The demonstrated ability to apply knowledge of sustainability and its application of the economic, social and environmental principles at an organisational level is essential in this role.
About the Benefits
If you are looking for a change of routine, a change of lifestyle or new adventure, this is the role for you. With 6 weeks annual leave, you will get the chance to see and experience more of Australia's Top End than most people ever will - and get paid to do it!
West Arnhem Shire Council truly values its team, and is committed to improving employee knowledge, skills and experience, including paying for your relevant Professional Membership/Subscription annually.
You will be rewarded with a highly attractive base salary circa $170,000 (commensurate with experience and qualifications) plus 12% superannuation.
In order to make your introduction to the area smoother, a furnished house will be provided rent-free, and you'll also enjoy use of a fully maintained motor vehicle.
This is an excellent opportunity to bring your leadership to an exciting new Local Government, and enhance your cultural knowledge in a stunning outback location. Make a positive difference - Apply Now!
Please note: Applications close at 5pm, Friday 11 May 2012.