Shire Services Manager
Gunbalanya & Maningrida, NT
- Multiple roles working with a new and exciting Local Government, based within the stunning Arnhem Land region!
- Excellent base salary circa $81,370 - $92,700 (commensurate with experience) PLUS 12% super, rent-free housing and locality allowance!
- Enjoy 6 weeks annual leave to explore the magnificent sights of the Top End whilst getting paid!
- Lead a passionate team in making a difference to the quality of life of the people in this unique part of the world!
About the Organisation
The West Arnhem Shire is one of eight new shire areas located in the Northern Territory. The Shire covers an area of 49,698km² including the World Heritage listed Kakadu National Park, and has a population of approximately 6,500 generally located within the communities of Jabiru, Gunbalanya, Maningrida, Minjilang and Warruwi. The West Arnhem Shire Council acknowledges and pays respect to the Traditional Owners of West Arnhem.
Apart from the traditional Local Government services, Council receives funding to manage & maintain a wide range of community programs and projects with a regional approach so all community members can enjoy the benefits. These programs include:
- Training and employment
- Indigenous art & galleries
- Night patrol, drug & alcohol education
- Sport and recreation
- Child care
- Maintenance and recording of languages
- Local radio broadcasting
- Jabiru Public Library
This is an exciting time for the region and Council is firmly committed to achieving significant and lasting change to improve the quality of life for all Shire residents.
About the Opportunity
West Arnhem Shire Council has a fantastic opportunity for two Shire Service Managers to join their teams based in Gunbalanya and Maningrida in West Arnhem Land.
Reporting to the Infrastructure Manager, you will be responsible for the day-to-day administration, supervision and delivery of local services and agency operations. This will include working within the local community and respecting the local cultural environment whilst ensuring the operations of the Service Centres are conducted in accordance with Council policies and procedures.
More specifically, some of your key duties will include:
- Ensuring services are delivered in accordance with the business plan and budgets;
- Providing a key point of contact for local community members;
- Providing high level professional administrative support to Council Representatives;
- Positively providing input into the development, monitoring, planning and delivery of services;
- Supervising and directing staff and contractors;
- Ensuring the financial and physical assets of the Council are managed effectively; and
- Regularly reviewing all general and department procedures.
To be successful in these pivotal roles, you will require demonstrated experience in managing service delivery, employees and business operations. Ideally you will also possess tertiary qualifications and/or experience in service delivery, public sector management or similar. In addition, you'll be able to effectively coordinate services to achieve results in a sensitive and culturally diverse climate.
You'll be a dedicated team player with excellent financial management skills to work within Shire budgets, as well as the ability to develop a good working knowledge of public sector management practices and frameworks. As you will be leading a small team, the ability to communicate, motivate and lead individuals is essential in order to complete projects on time and within budget.
Your sound computer skills will enable you to work within a records and management system effectively, while your ability to undertake multiple tasks simultaneously while managing workloads will be an advantage. The successful candidate will also require a sound knowledge of Environment, OHS&W and Risk Management legislation, Acts and Standards in order to ensure the legal obligations of the Council are met.
A current driver's licence (or the ability to obtain) as well as the willingness to undergo a Criminal History Check is essential.
About the Benefits
If you are looking for a change of routine, a change of lifestyle or new adventure, this is the role for you. With 6 weeks annual leave, you will get the chance to see and experience more of Australia's Top End than most people ever will - and get paid to do it!
West Arnhem Shire Council truly values its team, and is committed to improving employee knowledge, skills and experience.
You will be rewarded with a highly attractive base salary circa $81,370-$92,700 (commensurate with experience and qualifications) plus 12% superannuation.
In order to make your introduction to the area smoother, a furnished house will be provided rent-free as well as a locality allowance.
This is an excellent opportunity to bring your leadership to an exciting new Local Government, and enhance your cultural knowledge in a stunning outback location. Make a positive difference - Apply Now!