Senior Java Developer
- Take your IT career to the next level with one of Canada's favourite and most trusted travel brands, Flight Centre!
- Perfect opportunity for an analytical and personable professional to join an industry leader!
- Attractive remuneration package with an excellent range of unbeatable benefits with an award winning Employer of Choice!
Everything Flight Centre
Looking for an unbeatable place to work? Flight Centre is a global company that has been around for 27 years, still expanding, and looking for talented people to grow with them. The organization is continually recognized as one of Canada's best employers because they know their people are their most valuable asset. Flight Centre Limited employees are passionate about their work, their customers, and their future success. Attracting a broad range of people, our environment would be described as competitive yet supportive.
Flight Centre Limited has been ranked one of Canada's 50 'Best Employers to Work For' in the Globe and Mail's Report on Business Magazine, for the last eight consecutive years - including the number one position in 2002. For four of the last eight years, the organization has been in the top four.
The Flight Centre Limited careers network reaches across ten countries and employs 13,000 people. With Flight Centre Limited you can have a career that can take you all over the world!
What we're looking for
Flight Centre is seeking a Senior Java Developer to join their Downtown Toronto office. This is a full-time position with regular working hours. There is no opportunity to work from home.
Specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Writing server-side code for web-based applications
- Participating in code reviews
- Confirming program operation with testing; modifying program logic
- Providing support by ensuring stability of the application and addressing and resolving business issues in a timely manner
You will also assume responsibility for:
- Creating robust high-volume production applications
- Developing prototypes quickly
- Participating in architecture reviews
- Constructing design documents and documentation to aid in maintenance and code reuse
- Performance tuning while guaranteeing quality assurance
To qualify, the successful candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or relevant discipline
- 6+ years of experience in software engineering
- 3+ years experience in object oriented design and development in Java
- Experience working with common Java MVC frameworks such as Spring, Struts, or JSF
- Database development skills including SQL programming, solid understanding of relational database technologies, logical and physical data modeling. Preferably on a MySQL database
- Experience with web app servers, such as Tomcat
- Experience using standard development tools, such as Eclipse, Ant, SVN
- Experience developing SOAP and REST based web services
- Strong understanding of XML and JSON and how to manipulate using document based and stream based API’s
In addition, the ideal candidate will also demonstrate the following key competencies:
- Familiarity with standard programming concepts, practices, and procedures
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline-driven team environment on multiple projects
- Capacity to learn new technologies/programming languages quickly
- Extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals (Senior Developer)
- Ability to own the project end to end and drive projects to completion with little or no supervision (Senior Developer)
If you think you have what it takes to succeed and you also value collaboration, innovation, and performance excellence, please read on to see what a career with Flight Centre can offer you!
About the Benefits
The successful candidate will be rewarded with a competitive salary, including incentives and bonuses! You will also have the opportunity to participate in global career advancement and exciting travel opportunities.
Flight Centre offers its staff a host of award-winning and world renowned benefits, including:
- Discounted travel and access to excellent incentives from the world's top travel providers
- Extended health and dental benefits
- Free health advice and financial planning consultations
- RRSP Matching and a Pension Plan
- Social events that are the envy of the industry
- Career progression scheme including global career opportunities
- Fantastic supportive team culture
- Participation in global conferences
You will be employed by a company that takes pride in their employees and offers a team culture like no other in the industry. For a job that will truly take you places, watch your career take off and join the global Flight Centre force, an unbeatable employer of choice!