Manager, Communications and Public Relations
North Vancouver, BC
- Great opportunity to help make a difference to the Squamish First Nations community.
- Use your Communications and Public Relations experience to join a dynamic and progressive First Nations government.
- Enjoy a competitive salary, plus comprehensive benefits and pension plan.
ABOUT SQUAMISH FIRST NATION
Squamish First Nation is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish First Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We have a great opportunity for a Manager, Communications and Public Relations to join the Council Advisory & Support Department in North Vancouver on a full-time basis.
Reporting to the Council Co-Chairs and working closely with the Executive Operating Officer and the Council spokespersons, you'll manage the organizational communication plan activities of the Squamish First Nation, with emphasis on developing and implementing integrated communication initiatives and strategies. With an understanding of the short-term and long-term communications and public relations needs, you'll also prepare strategies to address emerging issues that could potentially impact the organization.
This is an exceptional opportunity for someone with exceptional written and verbal communication skills, strong research abilities and the analytical skills to understand respective audiences and engage them with content. Most importantly, you'll operate with a high level of tact, confidentiality, diplomacy and integrity.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing communications strategies for Squamish First Nation
- Creating and syndicating media materials
- Supporting Council with Membership Relations and Communication
- Managing media relations and publicity
- Managing online presence and general communication to membership
- Providing regular updates to management and Chiefs and Council
- Acting as in-house lead on all communications activities and promoting awareness of external communications activities with departments
- Adhering to workplace Health & Safety policies, as well as safe work practices and procedures
- Participating as member of the Council Advisory & Support Team
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
For this role, we're seeking someone with a Bachelor's degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or a relevant discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution. You'll also have five to seven years of directly related experience developing communications and public relations strategies, implementing communications and public relations plans, creating and syndicating media materials, managing online communications, and community/membership/public relations, etc. An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be accepted.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following:
- Intermediate/advanced level experience with Microsoft Office applications
- Proficiency with Hootsuite and Wordpress, or other social media platforms/content management systems
- Familiarity with media relations and or using media distribution channels
- The ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends (as required)
As your career progresses, you'll also complete job-required training and courses related to communication and public relations strategies, computer programming, social media, writing, etc.
Candidates with previous experience in working with a First Nations community (particularly Squamish First Nation) are strongly encouraged to apply).
The successful candidate must also successfully a complete Criminal Records Check as per Squamish First Nation Policy.
The above requirement is what Squamish First Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish First Nation. A combination of education and relevant work experience may be considered for above education and experience.
To be considered for this role, applicants must apply by March 23, 2017 at 11:30 pm.