Fire Field Officer (Fire Service Investigator and Inspector)
- Great opportunity to join a growing not-for-profit organization
- See your skills and experience fully appreciated and rewarded
- Competitive salary package plus a host of great benefits, including insurance package and pension contribution
About the Organization
First Nations Technical Services Advisory Group Inc (TSAG) is a not-for-profit First Nations organization created by the Chiefs of Alberta. Their purpose is to assist First Nations in the Treaty 6, 7 & 8 regions in gaining the tools and knowledge they need to achieve and maintain high standards in technology and services within the community.
TSAG’s goal is to empower communities, giving them the confidence and resources to maintain a healthy environment. With technical and advisory services, they offer programs that focus on the community as a whole as well as programs targeted at educating youth.
About the Opportunity
We're currently seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Fire Field Officer (Fire Service Investigator and Inspector) on a full-time basis.
Based in Edmonton, and reporting directly to the Manager of Fire Protection and Prevention, you will be responsible for Fire Inspections and Investigations. You will support a variety of fire service training & education as well as prevention and protection programs and services for First Nations within Alberta.
You will also work with First Nations communities and with fire departments to ensure support is provided in assistance and mentoring in inspection and investigation. Additionally, you will assist team members with instruction as well as the completion of Fire Department Assessments, Fire Flow Assessments and Fire and Life Safety Inspections in First Nations communities, working with TSAG departments as required.
Primary areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
- Leading fire origin, cause, and circumstance investigations as assigned
- Conducting fire inspections and coordinating inspection efforts with First Nation Fire Department personnel on investigations
- Liaising with First Nation Fire Department Training Officers and their agencies on common projects and mandates
- Ensuring the delivery of high quality and meaningful fire related inspections, investigations, training, and support services
- Scheduling and maintaining accredited fire service training programs eligible for IFSAC and Pro-Board Certification
- Scheduling and maintaining non-accredited fire services training programs eligible for local certification
- Supervising secondary instructors on training or courses being provided by TSAG
- Maintaining current knowledge in applicable Fire and Building Code updates and applicable STANDATA bulletins
- Participating in fire prevention educational delivery sessions as needed or required
- Maintaining professional association membership/involvement related to the fire service, life safety, and emergency/disaster management
- Understanding and follow occupational health and safety acts, regulations and codes
- Assisting and guiding First Nations Fire Departments on funding access for Fire Halls, equipment, training, etc.
- Maintaining comprehensive reporting procedures and ensure guidelines are effectively communicated and implemented
In order to qualify for this role, you will have a post-secondary education in business administration or public administration and/or related fire service management programs combined with a minimum of 5 years of experience in the fire or emergency management sector.
Our ideal candidate will also have NFPA Certification in the following:
- NFPA 1001 Level I / Level II – Professional Firefighter
- NFPA 472 Operations Level – HAZMAT Operations Level
- NFPA 1021 Level II – Fire Service Officer
- Blue Card Officer Certification – Command Officer Certification
- NFPA 1031 – Fire Inspector
- NFPA 1033 – Fire Investigator
- NFPA 1041 Level II – Fire Service Instructor
- NFPA 1521 – Incident Safety Officer
- ICS 300 – Incident Command System certification (ICS Canada)
- S-215 Wildland-Urban Interface certification
- Certification as a Safety Codes Officer in the Fire Discipline with:
- Alberta Group B1 certification
- Alberta Group B2 certification
Specifically, we're seeking someone with previous fire service training, development, and delivery experience and working knowledge of the Alberta Fire Code, Alberta Building Code, Alberta Safety Codes Act, Administrative Items Regulation, Emergency Management Act, Fatalities Inquiry Act, Evidence Collection Act and the Forest and Prairie Protection Act. Similarly, relevant OH&S courses and certification will be considered an asset.
Finally, our ideal candidate will be a consummate relationship builder as you will be working closely with our communities to gain buy-in and strengthen our partnerships. You will also need to be a reliable and adaptable team player with exceptional leadership, training, and mentorship skills. Your strong communication and problem-solving skills will be the key to your success in this role.
Please note you will also need to have a valid Class 5 driver's license, access to a reliable insured vehicle, and be willing to travel regularly through Alberta. Knowledge, experience or understanding of First Nations Cultural Traditions is also required.
If this sounds like you, please read on to see what a career with TSAG can offer you!
About the Benefits
This is a fantastic opportunity to bring your experience to a not-for-profit organization and start making a difference. You'll be joining a small, tight-knit and very passionate team who come in each day with a sense of purpose and a love of what they do. You'll also be rewarded with a highly competitive salary, negotiable based on skills and experience.
Relocation assistance is negotiable for the right candidate.
Additional employee benefits include:
- Extensive group insurance package, health care, and dental
- Defined Contribution Pension up to 5% matched
- Competitive vacation, including a bonus week at Christmas!
If you're a hard worker who wants to work within a growing non-profit organization that prides itself on collaboration, team work and a supportive working environment - Apply Online Today!