Public Relations Advisor
Medicine Hat, Alberta
- Excellent opportunity for an experienced Public Relations Advisor to take on a challenging role!
- Put your expertise to work in a dynamic and engaging role within a collaborative team environment!
- Receive competitive compensation and benefits with a global leader!
About the Organization
Methanex is the world's largest supplier of methanol to major international markets in North America, Asia-Pacific, Europe and Latin America. Methanol can be found in products from windshield washer fluid to recyclable plastic bottles, plywood floors to paint, silicone sealants to synthetic fibers. The energy sector is one of the most rapidly growing markets for the use of Methanol and greatly relies on the expertise and commitment of Methanex as their trusted supplier.
With the care of the environment as the root of their business, Methanex is a Responsible Care® company committed to the safe, ethical and environmentally sound management of the chemicals it makes and uses. Responsible Care® is an ethic established by the Chemical Industry Association of Canada (CIAC). The Responsible Care® ethic is an integral part of Methanex’s global commitment to ensuring the well-being of all stakeholders, wherever Methanex does business.
About the Opportunity
Methanex is currently seeking a Public Relations Advisor to join the team in Medicine Hat.
Under the direction of the Manager, Stakeholder Relations, the Public Relations Advisor will identify opportunities and implement solutions to continuously improve the stakeholder relations framework.
More specifically, you will collaborate and liaise with internal and external stakeholders to deliver, monitor and execute strategies, projects and initiatives while managing any issues that arise and supporting internal governance when needed.
Key accountabilities include:
- Acting as a subject matter expert on effective and meaningful community outreach that will result in continuous improvement of our stakeholder relations framework
- Coordinating stakeholder research and assisting in the development of reports and policy positions
- Anticipating and communicating stakeholder relations risks and opportunities, and addressing issues as they arise
- Coordinating the organization and logistical planning of stakeholder outreach, public events, tours and activities
- Maintaining an awareness of and monitoring emerging issues, current affairs and other relevant government relations information, such as policy proposals, regulatory changes and decisions made by local, provincial and federal governments
- Assisting with the development of plans and opportunities to engage with local, provincial and federal governments at the political and public service levels
- Developing and drafting strategic communications plans, tactics and practices, and assisting with the development and implementation of strategic communications with internal and external constituents
- Providing strategic communications counsel, direction, and perspective to help inform and guide decision-makers
- Researching, writing, editing and overseeing the development and production of various communication materials
- Ensuring standard key messages are created for corporate issues and opportunities
- Providing media relations advice and counsel, as well as social media and news release writing and media monitoring
- Coordinating the Methanex Community Advisory Panel (CAP) and managing the Social Responsibility Investment Program to align with corporate standards and approaches, including a cross-departmental employee Social Responsibility Committee
- Supporting the Information Officer function in an emergency or crisis situation
To qualify for this role, you will have an undergraduate degree in communications, public relations or other related field and a minimum of five years of previous relevant, cumulative experience in public affairs, social responsibility or communications positions. Experience in a large, complex organization and a regulated environment will be preferred.
In addition, you will possess the following:
- Broad understanding of government relations and political decision-making at the local, provincial and federal level in Canada
- Proven experience in creating and leading effective corporate communications plans
- Strong research, analysis and negotiation skills
- Excellent writing, editing, grammar, photography, videography and verbal communication and presentation skills
- A professional association member and/or professional accreditation, such as an Accredited Business Communicator (ABD) or Accredited in Public Relations (APR) is an asset, as is previous industrial experience and previous event planning experience
- An understanding of media relations and popular social media platforms, such as blogs, Twitter, LinkedIn, Hootsuite and monitoring software and similar applications
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Publisher, as well as Adobe Photoshop
- A valid Alberta Driver's License
This role is well suited to someone who is customer-focused and dedicated to meeting the expectations of internal and external customers and has a strong ability to develop and foster positive relationships and strategic partnerships among diverse groups with competing interests. Our ideal candidate is a strategic thinker who is skilled at anticipating and resolving public relations issues and has the political acuity, tact and diplomacy to understand, use and communicate specialized information to internal and external stakeholders.
You also possess a demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently or as part of a team in demanding situations. You have strong organization, time management and project coordination skills demonstrated by a strong ability to balance numerous projects simultaneously and coordinate complex projects under pressure to meet established schedules and budgets.
Above all, you will have strong creative abilities and sound judgment with a demonstrated ability to generate effective options and recommendations based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom and experience. In addition, you are a fast and agile learner who can adapt complex concepts to simple ones, and are flexible and adaptable with a demonstrated ability to work effectively in a variety of situations and with various individuals and groups. Further, you understand and have the ability to manage sensitive and confidential information.
If you are self-aware, have a strong commitment to professional development and continuous learning, and an aspiration to advance into a leadership role, then we invite you to apply today!
About the Benefits
Building on our core values of integrity, trust, respect and professionalism, our corporate culture encourages communication and teamwork and rewards employees for creativity and innovation. We are also very active in supporting educational and training/development initiatives. We sponsor scholarships and co-op programs at local colleges and universities as well as hands-on training programs at our manufacturing facilities.
In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you can expect an industry competitive salary along with the following benefits:
- Incentive bonus plan;
- 4 weeks paid vacation;
- Medical/Dental plan;
- Pension plan and optional Share purchasing plan;
- Regular social events;
- Possible relocation assistance for the right candidate.
Join this thriving and team focused market leader today and expand your experience with a new challenge - Apply Now!
To apply, please complete the online application form below. Once you have answered the questions, please click NEXT and you will be instructed to attach your resume on the following page. Please submit your resume and cover letter as a single document.