Metro Vancouver & Fraser Valley, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online at https://www.bchousing.org/careers/current-opportunities
- Join one of BC's Top Employers
- Multiple opportunities available in the Lower Mainland
- Use your passion for landscaping/gardening to help improve the lives of others
Build a career with one of BC's Top Employers!
BC Housing is a trusted leader and partner in providing housing solutions for British Columbians. Through safe, affordable and quality housing, we truly make a positive difference in people’s lives and communities.
This year, BC Housing has once again been recognized as one of BC's Top 55 Employers and one of Canada's Greenest Employers! That doesn’t happen by accident. We know our team of talented and compassionate employees is our greatest asset and creating a supporting, engaging, forward-thinking workplace is our priority.
If you want to build a successful and rewarding career with BC Housing, please read about the opportunity below or visit www.bchousing.org/careers
We have an exciting opportunity for multiple Groundskeepers to play a pivotal role in the delivery of affordable housing in the Lower Mainland. This is a short-term seasonal role from February to November 2018.
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager and working in teams of two to four people, you'll provide general groundskeeping, landscape maintenance and gardening at social housing properties. You'll work at various locations across the Lower Mainland, including Vancouver, Burnaby and Surrey.
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Planting, mowing, edging, weeding and lawn care
- Pruning shrubs, trees, and ground covers
- Keeping sidewalks, driveways and entrances clean, as well as minor patch repair to asphalt
- Operating and completing minor maintenance on mowers, edgers, trimmers and sweepers (such as sharpening blades)
- Operating a Company vehicle, including trailers to load, unload and deliver supplies and equipment
- Maintaining outdoor storm drains and sewers
- Constructing and repairing various landscape and fencing projects (retaining walls, patio boxes, etc.)
- Installing and repairing lawns and lawn maintenance equipment (sod, in ground sprinklers, etc.)
- Operating landscaping vehicles and maintenance equipment (bobcat, garden tractor, pressure washer, etc.)
This role is perfectly suited to someone who has previous experience with landscaping and gardening, and who takes pride in being well-organized, detail-oriented and dependable. You must also be capable of safely operating and maintaining new landscaping machinery and equipment.
With great communication skills and a tactful and professional manner, you may also be called upon to help resolve conflict and refer tenants (some of whom face complex health or social challenges) to other members of our multi-disciplined teams.
Most importantly, we're seeking candidates who share the values of our organization and who are committed to helping those in need.
Due to the nature of this role, a valid class 5 driver's license and satisfactory driving record is required.
The benefits of joining a Top Employer!
We didn't become one of BC's Top Employers and one of Canada's Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace that balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
All of our employees are rewarded with a competitive remuneration package and a host of great benefits. We're also a social and inclusive team that supports our people through on-going training and learning opportunities. We genuinely appreciate the amazing effort that our people go to each and every day and so we have Rewards and Recognition programs that recognize great effort, long service, environmental awareness, good ideas, and positive change.
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today!