Development Officer (Engineering)
- Great opportunity to grow your career within a dynamic development assessment team.
- Be part of the planning for the future of our City.
- 1 x Fixed term contract up to 24 months, 35 hours per week.
- 1 x Fixed term contract up to 9 months, 35 hours per week.
- Flexible working with optional 9-day fortnight.
City of Newcastle (CN) is looking for experienced Development Officers to provide engineering advice on development applications along with processing applications for flood certificates, subdivision proposals and public infrastructure.
Your experience working in similar roles will see you hit the ground running, enabling you to apply and satisfy sound environmental planning principles and to meet all relevant legislative requirements.
Your professionalism will promote CN’s reputation as a competent, efficient and courteous service provider, consistently delivering high quality development outcomes while maintaining a strong customer service focus.
A continual focus on teamwork and a motivated attitude will contribute positively to our cooperative and supportive multi-disciplinary team environment. You will actively participate in organisational change initiatives.
At CN our people are valued and have access to a range of benefits that help balance life at work and at home. These include flexible working arrangements, professional development opportunities and health and wellbeing programs.
The essentials you’ll need:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in Engineering, or related qualification, and/or demonstrated capability through past employment experience.
- An understanding and/or demonstrated competence in the assessment of development and/or subdivision works applications.
- Knowledge of the provisions of the Local government Act, Roads Act, Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.
- Sound written and oral communication skills including demonstrated negotiation and conflict resolution skills as well as proven ability to prepare reports on development matters.
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective team member of multi-disciplinary development project teams.
- Demonstrated ability to monitor development engineering matters (approved or otherwise) and to take appropriate action to ensure compliance with relevant statutory requirements.
- Current Class C drivers’ licence.
Other valuable skills you may have:
- Demonstrated experience and/or ability in relation to the carrying out of routine inspections on development engineering projects and/or the preparation of development control plans, local environmental plans or policy development in the area of development control.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple development engineering projects within strict deadlines including the co-ordination of multi-disciplinary input into development projects.
- Experience in the Land and Environment Court.
- Ability to use computer applications and information systems.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply occupational health and safety and equal employment opportunity requirements and policies.
Sound like the perfect job for you? Apply Now!
City of Newcastle proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and fosters a culture of diversity to represent the community of our Local Government Area.
All candidates will be assessed against the selection criteria outlined in the position description. Suitable candidates may be placed on an eligibility list for future identical positions for a period of 12 months.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
To view the full position description please click here.
Application Closing Date: Friday, 28 August 2020.
Remuneration: $82,844 + 9.5% Superannuation per annum for a 35 hour week + 3.5% Civil Liability Allowance.
Contact: Steven Masia - Development Engineering Team Coordinator – 02 4974 2054.