Forest Resource Manager
Gitlaxt'aamiks, BC (within close proximity to Terrace)
- Great opportunity to join a world-class First Nations organization!
- Use your forest resource management experience to make a difference to the Nisga'a Nation in beautiful BC!
- Enjoy a highly competitive salary plus great employee benefits, including up to 38 days off!
- Relocation assistance available for the right candidate.
About the Organization
The Nisga'a Lisims Government (NLG) building opened its doors in 2000, and has since been responsible for a vital set of functions carried out under various departments including Finance, Programs & Services, Fisheries & Wildlife, and Lands & Resources, all which contribute to the development of the surrounding area. NLG's directives are governed under Nisga’a laws as well as federal and provincial laws.
About the Location
Located on BC's rugged northwest coast, 100 to 150km north of Terrace, Nisga'a Lands are blessed with soaring mountains, dramatic lava beds, picturesque fjords, and thriving rivers and streams. The natural beauty of Nisga'a Lands are also complemented by the Nisga'a Nation's rich cultural traditions. For visitors and residents, there is a wide variety of activities to enjoy, including fishing, hiking, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, ATVing, and much more!
Gitlaxt'aamiks (also known as New Aiyansh), is considered the "capital of the Nisga'a Nation" and is one of the four Nisga'a villages located in the beautiful Nass Valley which include Gitwinksihlkw, Laxgalts’ap and Gingolx.
About the Opportunity
NLG is currently seeking a Forest Resources Manager to join their team and be based in Gitlaxt'aamiks in beautiful British Columbia.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone with significant experience working in Aboriginal communities on land and natural resources related issues.
As part of the land and resources team, you will be responsible for Managing the Forest Resources Department and overseeing all activities related to the Nisga’a Forest Act on Nisga’a Lands.
More specifically you will provide professional, general and strategic advice to supervisors in all matters related to forest management and related provisions of the Nisga’a Final Agreement.
This is a challenging and dynamic role that will see you:
- Developing mid-term strategic objectives and service plans; establishing priorities; allocating resources; resolving controversial issues affecting the directorate or specific portfolio areas
- Providing comprehensive technical reporting to the Director, NLG Executive, and senior staff
- Supervising professional and technical staff and consultants; managing recruitment, performance/attendance management, occupational health and safety training and Work Safe BC requirements; provides technical and other training
- Ensuring compliance with Nisga’a Final Agreement and legislative requirements for several portfolio areas or components of departmental areas including: Tenures; Stewardship; Compliance and Enforcement; Engineering; Protection; Silviculture; and Recreation
- Ensuring proper administration of all relevant legislation with respect to timber revenue including marking, transportation and scaling of timber harvested from Nisga’a Lands
- Overseeing the departmental budget, contract management and expenditure management issues and guides the development, allocation, monitoring and reporting of the budget
- Recommending and implementing appropriate policies, practices, standards, controls, systems and reporting requirements for the Directorate and will evaluate for economy, efficiency and effectiveness
- Other related duties as may be assigned
To succeed in this role, the successful candidates must have superior organizational, analytical, communication and reasoning abilities, as well as:
- Current registration with the Association of BC Forest Professionals (ABCFP) as a Professional Forester (RPF)
- 5 years operational, industry or public administration experience
- Technical or scientific expertise in one or more forestry disciplines with an understanding of the range of business areas and their programs
- Significant experience working in Aboriginal communities on land and natural resources related issues at a senior administrative level of accountability is essential
- A dynamic ability to work effectively with staff, stakeholders, other public service agencies as well as the public
This role is best suited to someone with a strong working knowledge of the Nisga’a Treaty, First Nations self-government practices, policies, procedures and applicable legislation and who has knowledge and understanding of the Forest Resource issues under Treaty.
Our ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability to prioritize, organize and manage a workload which often includes multiple competing demands and someone who is a motivated self-starter that is able to engage, supervise, lead and mentor teams to achieve outstanding results.
If you have the forest resource management experience to make a real difference to First Nation communities, this is the ideal opportunity for you! Please read on to see what a career with NLG can offer you.
About the Benefits
Upon joining NLG, you will be welcomed into an inclusive, supportive and dedicated team of professionals. The successful candidates can expect to receive a highly competitive salary that is commensurate with your experience, skills, and qualifications. All NLG team members also receive access to a wide range of employee benefits, including:
- Up to 38 days off (20 vacation + 18 elective leave);
- Extended medical and dental benefits;
- Short and long-term disability;
- Group life insurance;
- Group pension plan;
- Employee & family assistance program (EFAP) - confidential counseling services to assist employees;
- Opportunities for personal and professional training and development; and
- Relocation assistance negotiable.
At NLG, we work hard to ensure we maintain our status as a local employer of choice. We greatly value the contributions all of our team members and we actively foster a team-based environment that encourages open communication, transparency, and respect.
By joining the NLG team, you can have a rewarding and exciting career that offers great opportunities for professional progression. Best of all, all of your hard work and dedication will serve the good of our Nation.
If you're are a passionate and organized team player who is looking for a unique opportunity that is guaranteed to provide you with challenge and satisfaction - Apply Today!