- Outstanding growth opportunity for an experienced Software Development Leader interested in developing their skills as a Product Owner on a Technical Product Management Team
- Take your career to the next level with a growing software company with the opportunity for career advancement
- Enjoy a competitive compensation structure, including a comprehensive benefits package
About the Organization
Trusted by shipbuilders, naval architects and marine engineers, SSI develops Autodesk-based solutions for the shipbuilding and offshore industry. With the majority of US naval ships now being built with SSI solutions, and prestigious names in global marine construction increasingly choosing SSI, we are poised for well-managed and sustainable growth.
Based in Victoria, BC with a satellite office in Alabama, we are proud to offer our team an environment that facilitates fascinating and challenging work with a healthy work/life balance. A career with us gives you the opportunity to work on complex and graphically-oriented software that is used on high profile marine projects worldwide. These exciting projects include the recently built Staten Island ferries, as well as a myriad of both international and US defense projects. The ability to see the results of your efforts in the real world is what makes a career with SSI so rewarding.
In 2013, SSI was awarded the VIATec award for Business of the Year in Ocean Products - a true testament to our success within the industry.
About the Opportunity
SSI is actively seeking an experienced Product Owner to join our team in Victoria, BC. Reporting to the CTO, the Product Owner represents the “voice of the customer” by bringing a strategic vision to one of our existing products. Their focus is on maximizing the value of the product and the work of the development team. The successful candidate will be relied upon to identify, prioritize and manage product requirements, work with customers, management, and other stakeholders, as well as collaborate with the Agile/Scrum team to ensure quality design and implementation of product features.
- Working with the CTO and other Product Owners to formulate and direct a product vision, strategy, and roadmap
- Serve as the voice of the customer on new or already existing products and features
- Collect, articulate, and prioritize requirements from product stakeholders (own and manage product backlog)
- Participate and lead Agile / Scrum activities (triage, backlog grooming, sprint planning, stand-up, retrospectives, sprint review)
- Promote and inspire continuous improvement in everything we do
- Work with Development Team to ensure the understanding of the vision is achieved and all the user stories are clear
- Work with the PO team to ensure cross-team dependencies are communicated and work planned accordingly
- Work with the Product team to translate business requirements into user stories:
a. Work with customers and internal stakeholders to validate the product/feature/enhancement
b. Support feature design and prototyping of user experiences
c. Gather requirements from the business sponsors for specific user stories
d. Work with the team to determine and outline the Acceptance Criteria for the user stories
- Regularly report and monitor key performance indicators of the product to provide insight to the business and support tactical decisions
- Act as a servant leader to the development team in order to both inspire and motivate the team while also setting a clear sense of purpose and achievement
- Work with the SSI team to support the continuous improvement and adoption of our Agile mindset
- Conduct Market Research as required
- One of the following:
a. Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline
b. 5 years of hands-on experience as a Product Owner or industry experience in software Product Management, Project Management, or Product Development
- Product-driven focus - able to sort priorities and make difficult needs-based decisions
- Collaborative mindset - proven track record of guiding teams and stakeholders towards pragmatic consensus leading to high-value product roadmaps and implementations
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, and presentation)
- The ability to work effectively with people in stressful situations and maintain positive customer relations
- The ability to work with people from various backgrounds and cultures
- A demonstrated ability to prioritize, organize and multiple tasks
- Demonstrated ability to work independently towards high-level objectives
- Fluent in English
- May require international travel
- Relocation to Victoria, BC
- Professional experience in shipbuilding or manufacturing
- Experience with AutoCAD or other CAD systems
- Passionate about and experienced in Agile development methodologies and processes such as Scrum
- Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO) Certification
- Experience with Atlassian products such as Jira and Confluence
This role is well suited to a strong communicator (verbal, written, and presentation), who is also able to manage multiple priorities, maximize and deliver value to our customers, work effectively in demanding situations and maintain positive working relationships with people of diverse backgrounds. With demonstrated aptitude for software and technology, you must also have the capacity to work independently toward high-level objectives.
Lastly, you must be willing to relocate to Victoria, BC.
The challenging nature of the work combined with the ability to see the results of your efforts in the real world is what makes a career with SSI such a rewarding experience. If you strive for excellence and enjoy working in a fast-paced and dynamic team environment, consider joining SSI today!
About the Benefits
At SSI, the core of our success lies in the creative, energetic and dedicated people who make up our team. Although the work may be challenging, we foster a fun, flexible and friendly working environment with:
- A casual, relaxed work environment
- Flexible work hours that support a work-life balance
- Seasonal social events (Friday pub lunches, potlucks, Pi day, Christmas parties, theme days, and more)
- Paid time off to attend blood donation drives
Upon joining SSI, the successful incumbent can expect to receive a competitive remuneration package plus great employee benefits, including:
- ParaMedical, Dental, and Vision
- Life insurance and long-term disability benefits
- Profit Sharing Plan
- Three weeks’ vacation
- Education assistance, professional development, opportunities for career growth, and training
If you enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic environment and want to take your career to the next level with a local employer of choice – apply to SSI today!